Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Tracy Fahy
Head of Department of Art and Design took us on a "secret history" of her reading.. and what a delight it was!


What was your favourite childhood book? The Adventures of "Robin Hood" by Roger Lancelyn Green. In fact, I wanted to be Robin Hood for most of my childhood. From the age of nine or so, I was also fascinated by mythology, especially Norse tales of the gods.
What was the book that had the most influence on you in your college days? That’s a tricky one, as I spent a huge amount of my college days reading. Possibly "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson, the most perfect ghost story ever written.
Do you have any memory or story about your college library? Sitting in a cosy nook reading armloads of novels that had absolutely nothing to do with my designated courses…I believe I termed it ‘reading around the subject’.
If you were stranded on a desert Island what book would you like to have with you? One book? I’m afraid I’d need more. Preferably a library. But in the absence of same, I’d like "The Bloody Chamber" by Angela Carter, "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt, the complete works of Shirley Jackson, the collected works of Jane Austen and the complete works of Shakespeare.

No comments: